Refashioning Dress

As far as bridesmaids dresses go, this was actually pretty wonderful, no puffy shoulders or excessive tulle.  It was just a little bit “much” for everyday wear.

The first thing I wanted to get rid of was those crazy ruched straps and the ruffles at the neck.  Combined with the feminine fabric and soft colors it was just a little too Easter Sunday feeling to me.

I chopped off the straps.

I wanted the shape in front to be more of a heartneck, so I cut down the middle about 2 inches. This picture shows the ruffles pinned down to still show in front, but I just decided to get rid of them all together and ended up pinning them to the inside and reshaping a bit.  It looked pretty awesome after those minor changes.

Unfortunately, it wouldn’t stay up on it’s own.  I set out to make some straps, and decided to tie them to the dress, and also hide a pretty messy hem, by doing matching trim along the neckline.

I made it really easy on myself and just used black ribbon.

Once I attached the trim and straps, I somehow ended up with these weird pokey-outy (technical term) spots at the armpits.

To rectify them, I put my dress on inside out and pinned in where the extra fabric was at and then sewed it together.

Sweetheart Neckline

I am much more comfortable wearing this style of dress!



  1. dressesandme

    How that is a great dress! You’re so brave taking the scissors to it but it turned out so well 🙂

    • dosayit

      Thank you so much! I left out all of the seam ripping and resewing I ended up doing because I didn’t like the way it turned out the first go-round.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s